Plan S, promoted by Science Europe, aims to ensure that all publications resulting from publicly-funded research are published in open access journals or platforms, or made available through open access repositories without embargo.
Adherence to Plan S will make the results of scientific activity accessible to the entire scientific community, allowing the investment made by FCT, IP to contribute to the acceleration of knowledge.
This adhesion is particularly significant in the context of the Portuguese Presidency of the Council of the European Union, given that the main priorities in the area of research and development will be:
1) relationship between science, employment, and resilience;
2) open and collaborative research;
3) enhancement of research careers.
This last point includes a revision of the Code of Conduct aimed at welcoming European research career development practices, with clear recommendations for Open Science principles.
In the context of FCT, IP’s activity, the open-access provided for by Plan S can be accomplished in three ways:
· Publication in open access journals or platforms
· Immediate availability in open access repositories
· Publication on open access under transformative agreements With this adhesion, FCT, IP reinforces the path, started in 2014, with the launch of its Open Access Policy to support the transition to Open Science. Throughout 2021, FCT,IP will work to ensure the implementation of Plan S from 1 January 2022.